Brief History

St. John the Baptist, the parish church of Burscough (consecrated in 1832) was built with the aid of a grant from parliamentary funds specifically assigned, at the end of the Peninsular War, for the building of churches in populous areas.  Consequently, St. John’s, which is a Grade II* listed building, is known as a “Waterloo” church.

The architect, Daniel Stewart, who was from Liverpool, built two churches – the other being St. Matthias, Liverpool. St. John’s is built in the Gothic style from stone brought from Parbold on land that was given to the Church of England by Lord Skelmersdale. The church cost £3,440 to build - £400 of which was raised by public subscription.

One of the main features of the church is the East Window (installed in 1920) which is dedicated to the memory of local servicemen who died in the First World War.

The parish also includes two mission churches: St. Andrews, Crabtree and St. Cyprian’s, Hoscar.

To read more of the history of the church, click here.

The East Window